Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Mental Game

In my opinion this game is all in your mind. Don't get me wrong, you just cant think of playing scratch golf and it happens. You need to have strong fundamentals and a decent work ethic. However, no matter what level your at, having a strong mental attitude will help.

I was a head case at one point in my golfing career. I was easily frustrated with bad shots and not playing up to my standards. I broke clubs, threw clubs, swore frequently, and was not fun to play with. Then I realized I'm not getting better by practicing these bad habits. I started reading a lot of mental golf books. As I began reading these books, I began to understand why I was at a plateau with my game. My mental game was awful!

To make a long story short, these books I read changed the way I play golf and to an extent the way I live my life. Once I stopped dwelling on each shot and each round I noticed my scores getting better. I cant control what happens after I strike a golf ball. All I can do is prepare to the best of my ability and accept the outcome. Once I started playing golf this way it was amazing what it did for me.

It doesn't matter what you want to improve at, whether it's a sport or life in general, having a strong mental approach will take you new places. Sometimes all it takes is getting out of your own way (your mind) and letting your preparation, mentally and physically, take care of itself.

Suggested Reading...
Putting Out of Your Mind -Dr. Bob Rotella
Every Shot Must Have A Purpose -Pia Nilsson and Lynn Marriott
Fearless Golf -Dr. Gio Valiante
Zen Golf -Dr. Joseph Parent
The Golfer's Mind -Dr. Bob Rotella
Extraordinary Golf -Fred Shoemaker

No comments:

Post a Comment